International Desk: US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has appeared to confirm the death of Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden's son Hamza, according to a report in the CNN.
"That's my understanding," Esper said in an interview late Wednesday with Fox News, when asked if Hamza bin Laden was dead.
Asked if the US had any role in his death, Esper responded: "I don't have the details on that. And if I did, I'm not sure how much I could share with you."
CNN reported that last month US officials had said that the country had assessed that Hazma Bin Laden was dead but provided few details.
President Donald Trump earlier this month declined to comment after NBC News first reported the US assessment. Asked if he had intelligence that bin Laden’s son had been killed, Trump told reporters: I don’t want to comment on it.
Separately, the White House declined comment on whether any announcement was imminent.
Hamza, believed to be about 30 years old, was at his father’s side in Afghanistan before the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States and spent time with him in Pakistan after the US-led invasion of Afghanistan pushed much of al Qaeda’s senior leadership there, according to the Brookings Institution.
risingbd/Aug 23, 2019/Mukul